Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Taking A Look Back At My Pre-Season Predictions

I can't believe the regular season has ended! This season has just flown by. I figured this would be a good time to take a look back on some of the predictions I made earlier this season and see how I did. When picking the standings, I did a pretty good job, doing better than both the Coaches and the Media.

For my pre-season predictions from August, click here. I have also quoted some predictions in my analysis.

In the following analysis, I will point out where I was right and where I was wrong:
Rick Bennett


1. Union (32 Points)
My Pick: 1st
Coaches Pick: 2nd
Media Pick: 2nd
Why I was Right: The transition from Nate Leaman and Keith Kinkaid to Rick Bennett and Troy Grosenick was flawless. Also, the special teams have still been very good thanks to returners Jeremy Welsh, Daniel Carr, and Wayne Simpson.
Why I was Wrong: I guess the only thing I was wrong about was Grosenick not being Kinkaid. But as of right now, Grosenick has put up better numbers than Kinkaid.

2. Cornell (30 Points)
My Pick: 4th
Coaches Pick: 3rd
Media Pick: 3rd
Why I was Right: "Coach Schafer's team is always good no matter who's on the ice. The team focuses on defense and special teams, which are the two things that never quit and win games."
Why I was Wrong: I overlooked the impact Nick D'Agostino would make to the offesne and defense, and how freshmen like Brian Ferlin, Joel Lowry, and Joakim Ryan would help the team pick up some of the slack left by the guys who graduated. Also, I might have underestimated Andy Iles a tad. I knew he was really good, but not sure if he was going to be ready to go full time in his sophomore year.

3. Harvard (25 Points)
My Pick: 10th
Coaches Pick: 7th
Media: 12th
Why I was Right: "The Crimson... will depend heavily on superstar defenseman Danny Biega (30 points) and senior captain Alex Killorn (29 points)." Besides that, I was pretty wrong.
Why I was Wrong: I heavily under valued juniors Marshall Everson (25 points) and Alex Fallstrom (25 points). Also, freshman defender Patrick McNally made a bigger impact offensively than I could have expected. The Crimson played a lot of tight games, which they played into ties, while they aren't win's, they're still points. I think it's pretty amazing that Coach Donato and Harvard are third in the league despite tying more league games than they've won.

4. Colgate (23 Points)
My Pick: 6th
Coaches Pick: 10th
Media Pick: 10th
Why I was Right: The team was a good one last year, but fell into some bad luck during the regular season. Also, I thought Austin Smith would have a good season.
Why I was Wrong: On the same note, while I thought Smith would have a good season, I didn't foresee him having this monster season. I also completely overlooked his linemate Chris Wagner, who leads the league in assists. I should also mention that I was incorrect in saying that Eric Mihalik would be the clear cut favorite to start in net this year, since senior Alex Evin has played a good amount and has put up better numbers than Mihalik.

Eric Hartzell
5. Quinnipiac (23 Points)
My Pick: 5th
Coaches Pick: 6th
Media Pick: 6th
Why I was Right: I was pretty dead on with this pick: "I predict that the Jones twins will be a feared duo in the league, while Scott Zurevinski leads the Bobcat offense. Also, look for freshman Matt Peca to make an impact. On defense, Quinnipiac returns six defenders who played in at least 25 games, and in goal have junior Eric Hartzell and senior Dan Clarke. Hartzell put up great numbers last season, and Clarke can be one of the best goaltenders in the legue when he's on top of his game. Even though things are looking up for the Bobcats, I think they'll miss the Top 4 because they have history going against them. Coach Rand Pecknold always has a very talented team, but has had problems bringing them to the next level."
Why I was Wrong: I overlooked the impact Jeremy Langlois would make on the Bobcat offense.

6. Yale (22 Points)
My Pick: 2nd
Coaches Pick: 1st
Media Pick: 1st
Why I was Right: I wasn't too spot on with this pick except saying, "I see Brian O'Neill and Andrew Miller as the most lethal duo in the ECAC and one of the best in college hockey."
Why I was Wrong: Besides this, I was pretty wrong. I think I was just too confident that Yale would be good no matter who was on the ice. I realized in my predictions that the loss of guys like Cahill, Kearney, Martin, Rondeau, etc. would be big, but I didn't realize how big. Goaltending has been a mess for the Bulldogs, and after O'Neill, Miller, and Agostino, there hasn't been much of a threat up front, besides the emergence of Antoine Laganiere (who I did not see as being a double-digit goal scorer this season).

7. Clarkson (22 Points)
My Pick: 12th
Coaches Pick: 11th
Media Pick: 9th
Where I was Right: I wasn't right. I was really off on this one.
Where I was Wrong: It's pretty obvious that I underestimated almost every aspect of this team, especially the play of Paul Karpowich, who is in the running for the Dryden Award. He has far exceeded my expectations this season. Speaking of seniors, while I though Louke Oakley and Nick Tremblay to have good seasons, I did not see them both having 30+ point seasons. Sophomore forwards Ben Sexton and Allan McPherson also exceeded my expectations, and freshman defenseman Sam Labreque made a huge impact on the offense as a defenseman.

8. St. Lawrence (21 Points)
My Pick: 8th
Coaches Pick: 9th
Media Pick: 8th
Where I was Right: Good pick by the coaches and I here. Greg Carey, Kyle Flanagan, and George Hughes led the offense as expected. But, there's a good drop off in talent after this trio.
Where I was Wrong: Chris Martin made a big impact on the Satins offense posting 10 goals and 15 assists in his first season. He has been a great compliment to Flanagan and Carey on offense.

Brandon McNally
9. Dartmouth (19 Points)
My Pick: 3rd
Coaches Pick: 5th
Media Pick: 4th
Where I was Right: This was another one of my bad picks.
Where I was Wrong: I guess I really undervalued the impact Scott Fleming and Adam Estoclet made on this team last season. Doug Jones has done a good job as predicted, but hasn't been either of those guys. Oh, and James Mello has been a huge disappointment in goal. That's probably why everyone who picked Dartmouth so high looks silly. On a good note, the freshman class has done a great job on offense, especially Tyler Sikura and Brandon McNally.

10. RPI (17 Points)
My Pick: 7th
Coaches Pick: 4th
Media Pick: 5th
Where I was Right: "They are definitely going to miss two-time ECAC Hockey Player of the Year Chase Polacek (48 points) and Tyler Helfrich (38), and will also miss leaders like Bryan Brutlag and John Kennedy." While some might have disagreed with me prior to this season how important Polacek was to RPI, it's safe to say that I was correct considering how lackluster the Engineer offense has been this season. Only Brock Higgs has reached the 20 point plateau this season.
Where I was Wrong: While Coach Appert had trouble making up for the loss of Polacek, he was able to find a replacement for Allen York in net with Bryce Merriam. While he is not putting up numbers like York did in his final season, he's doing a job better than most people (including myself) expected.

11. Princeton (16 Points)
My Pick: 9th
Coaches Pick: 8th
Media Pick: 7th
Where I was Right: I was pretty good with this pick as well despite the numbers not exactly matching up: "The Tigers will probably take a slight plunge in the 2011-12 season. Not only did they lose a great coach in Guy Gadowsky, but also lose three of their top four scorers to graduation and three veteran defensemen, including captain Taylor Fedun." I'm not saying that Bob Prier has done a bad job. He didn't have too much to work with and had to deal with a lot of injuries this season. Mike Condon and Sean Bonar have done a decent job in between the pipes, as I expected.
Where I was Wrong: I did underestimate the season's Michael Sdao (18 points) and Jack Berger (20 points) would have.

12. Brown (14 Points)
My Pick: 11th
Coaches Pick: 12th
Media Pick: 11th
Where I was Right: Dead on here again: "The Bears are going to deeply miss captain Harry Zolnierczyk (but the rest of the ECAC won't). Even though he was the most penalized player in the ECAC, he led the team with 16 goals and set the tone for   his team. Brown is known for their hard-nosed and gritty playing style, and Harry Z led the was the key in this mentality. Hopefully for head coach Brendan Whittet, they can continue to play like this without Zolnierczyk. Luckily, he has senior Jack Maclellan, who led the team with 17 assists and tied Harry Z for tops on the team with 31 points. After Maclellan, the Bears have very little scoring punch." Also, Bobby Farnham and Dennis Robertson stepped up a bit, which I predicted
Where I was Wrong: I guess the only thing I was wrong about here was the play of goalie Mike Clemente. While he didn't have a great season (2.72GAA, .904SV%), he did have one of his better years while at Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ECAC Hockey Daily